What BDMs and architects need to know about SharePoint in Office 365 deployment.
Gain efficiency and optimize for cost with Office 365 multi-tenant plans.
- Software as a Service (SaaS).
- Rich feature set is always up to date.
- Includes a Microsoft Azure Active Directory tenant (can be used with other applications).
- Directory integration includes synchronizing account names and passwords between the on-premises Active Directory environment and the Microsoft Azure Active Directory tenant.
- If single sign-on is a requirement, Active Directory Federation Services can be implemented.
- Client communication over the Internet through encrypted and authenticated access (port 443).
- Data migration is limited to what can be uploaded over the Internet.
- Customizations: Apps for Office and SharePoint, SharePoint Designer 2013
- Secure external sharing and collaboration (unique feature!).
- Intranet — team sites, My Sites, and internal collaboration.
- Document storage and versioning in the cloud.
- Basic public-facing website.
Additional features with Office 365 Dedicated Subscription Plans:
- Microsoft data center equipment that is dedicated to your company or organization and not shared with any other organization.
- Each customer environment resides in a physically separate network.
- Client communication across an IPSec-secured VPN or customer-owned private connection. Two-factor authentication is optional.
- ITAR-support plans.
- Subscription model, no additional licenses needed
- Plan and design directory integration. Two options (either option can be deployed on premises or in Microsoft Azure):
- Password sync (requires one 64-bit server).
- Single sign-on (requires ADFS and multiple servers).
- Ensure network capacity and availability through firewalls, proxy servers, gateways, and across WAN links.
- Acquire third-party SSL certificates to provide enterprise-security for Office 365 service offerings.
- Plan the tenant name, design site. collection architecture and governance.
- Plan customizations, solutions, and apps for SharePoint Online.
- Decide if you want to connect to Office 365 by using the Internet Protocol 6 (IPv6)
— not common.
IT Pro responsibilities
- Ensure user workstations meet Office 365 client prerequisites.
- Implement the directory integration plan.
- Plan and implement internal and external DNS records and routing.
- Configure the proxy or firewall for Office 365 IP address and URL requirements.
- Create and assign permissionsto site collections.
- Implement customizations, solutions, and apps for SharePoint Online.
- Monitor network availability and identify possible bottlenecks.