What BDMs and architects need to know about a Microsoft Azure deployment.
Take advantage of the cloud while maintaining full control of the platform and features.
- Microsoft Azure is a platform that provides the infrastructure and app services needed to host a SharePoint 2013 farm.
- Infrastructure Services.
- Best native cloud platform for SQL Server and SharePoint.
- Computing resources are available almost immediately with no commitment.
- Focus on applications, instead of datacenters and infrastructure.
- Inexpensive development and test environments.
- SharePoint solutions can be accessible from the Internet or only accessible from a corporate environment through a site-to-site VPN tunnel.
Customizations are not limited.
- SharePoint for Internet Sites — Public facing sites. Take advantage of Microsoft Azure AD for customer accounts and authentication.
- Developer, test, and staging environments — Quickly provision and un-provision entire environments.
- Hybrid applications — Applications that span your datacenter and the cloud.
- Disaster recovery environment — Quickly recover from a disaster, only pay for use.
- Farms that require deep reporting or auditing.
- Web analytics.
- Data encryption at rest (data is encrypted in the SQL databases).
- Microsoft Azure subscription (includes the server operating system)
- SQL Server
- SharePoint 2013 Server License
- SharePoint 2013 Client Access License
Design the Microsoft Azure network environment:
- Virtual network within Microsoft Azure, including subnets.
- Domain environment and integration with on-premises servers.
- IP addresses and DNS.
- Affinity groups and storage accounts.
Design the SharePoint environment in Microsoft Azure:
- SharePoint farm topology and logical architecture.
- Microsoft Azure availability sets and update domains.
- Virtual machines sizes.
- Load balanced endpoint.
- External Endpoints for public access, if desired.
- Design the disaster recovery environment.
IT Pro responsibilities
Deploy and manage the Microsoft Azure and SharePoint environment:
- Implement and manage the Microsoft Azure network environment.
- Deploy the SharePoint environment.
- Update SharePoint farm servers.
- Add or shut down virtual machines as needed based on farm utilization.
- Increase or decrease virtual machine sizes, as needed.
- Backup the SharePoint environment.
- Implement the disaster recovery environment and protocol.